EpiPen® (0.3mg epinephrine) auto-injectors are for the emergency treatment of life-threatening allergic reactions (anaphylaxis) caused by allergens, exercise, or unknown triggers. The LIGHTHOUSETM medical emergency kit is a lifesaving investment and includes both the EpiPen® & EpiPen® Jr in the LIGHTHOUSETM medical emergency kit. The EpiPen® is only carried in the LIGHTHOUSETM basic medical emergency kit and the LIGHTHOUSETM conversion kit.
The LIGHTHOUSE™ Medical Emergency Kit is designed to meet the basic medical emergency needs of a dental practice treating patients ranging from pediatric to geriatric. The goal of the LIGHTHOUSE™ Medical Emergency Kit is to equip dental clinics with the required medications to be complaint by today's standard. As an owner of a LIGHTHOUSE™ Medical Emergency Kit, you are automatically enrolled in a program called "Automatic Replenishment". The program is a service exclusively offered by HANSAmed to track, monitor and replenish each individual medication in your LIGHTHOUSE™ Medical Emergency Kit prior to expiration. This service guarantees your medications will remain current and up to date. The medications and devices included in a LIGHTHOUSE™ Kit are quick, safe and easy to administer.
LighthouseTM provides dental clinics with vital medications, convenience, peace of mind and training to assist all dental staff in becoming equipped to handle a medical emergency in the office. With licensing and approval from Health Canada, we are able to provide clinics with quality medications to help you save a life.
- EpiPen (epinephrine injection, USP) 0.3 mg and EpiPen Jr (epinephrine injection, USP) 0.15 mg are auto-injectors and combination products containing drug and device components.
- Used in the emergency treatment of allergic reactions including anaphylaxis, which may result from allergic reactions to insect stings or bites, foods, drugs, sera, diagnostic testing substances and other allergens, as well as idiopathic anaphylaxis or exercise-induced anaphylaxis.
- The signs and symptoms associated with anaphylaxis include flushing, apprehension, syncope, tachycardia, unobtainable pulse associated with hypotension, convulsions, vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal cramps, involuntary voiding, airway swelling, laryngospasm, bronchospasm, pruritus, angioedema, swelling of the eyelids, lips, and tongue.
- The EpiPen® and EpiPen® Jr each contain 2 mL epinephrine solution. Approximately 1.7 mL remains in the auto-injector after activation, but is not available for future use, and should be discarded.
- Selection of the appropriate dosage strength (EpiPen® 0.3 mg or EpiPen® Jr 0.15 mg) is determined according to patient body weight: Patients greater than or equal to 30 kg (approximately 66 pounds or more): EpiPen® 3 mg; Patients 15 to 30 kg (33 pounds to 66 pounds): EpiPen® Jr 0.15 mg
- Inject EpiPen® or EpiPen® Jr intramuscularly or subcutaneously into the anterolateral aspect of the thigh, through clothing if necessary. Instruct caregivers of young children who are prescribed an EpiPen® or EpiPen® Jr and who may be uncooperative and kick or move during an injection to hold the leg firmly in place and limit movement prior to and during an injection.
- Protect from light. Epinephrine is light sensitive and should be stored in the carrier tube provided to protect it from light. Store at 20°C to 25°C; excursions permitted to 15°C to 30°C. Do not refrigerate.
Warnings and Precautions:
- EpiPen® and EpiPen® Jr are intended for immediate administration as emergency supportive therapy and are not intended as a substitute for immediate medical care. In conjunction with the administration of epinephrine, the patient should seek immediate medical or hospital care.
- Do not inject intravenously.
- Do not inject into buttock: Injection into the buttock may not provide effective treatment of anaphylaxis.
- Do not inject into digits, hands or feet
- Hold leg firmly during injection
- Rare cases of serious skin and soft tissue infections
- Use antiseptic swabs provided in LighthouseTM Kit if necessary prior to injection.
- 1 unit of Pfizer EpiPen® Epi Inj Unidose 0.3 mg auto-injector (Adult)