Pfizer GELFOAM® (ABSORBABLE GELATIN), Size 6, 6 Envel/Bx
GELFOAM® Sterile Sponge is a medical device intended for application to bleeding surfaces as a hemostatic. It is water insoluble, off-white, non-elastic, porous, pliable product prepared from purified pork skin gelatin USP granules and water for Injection.
Features and benefits
- It may be cut without fraying and is able to absorb and hold within its interstices
- GELFOAM Sterile Sponge has hemostatic properties
- When not used in excessive amounts, GELFOAM is absorbed completely, with little tissue reaction
- GELFOAM Sterile Sponge, used dry or saturated with sterile sodium chloride solution, is indicated in surgical procedures as a hemostatic device, when control of capillary, venous, and arteriolar bleeding by pressure, ligature, and other conventional procedures is either ineffective or impractical.
Handling instructions to open envelope:
- With the hands folded into fists, grasp each flap between the thumb and index finger.
- With a slow, rolling motion, carefully peel back the envelope sides until the sterile inner envelope is
- Employing sterile technique, remove sterile inner envelope and sterile sponge.
Warnings and Precautions:
- Always use sterile technique when handling GELFOAM Sterile Sponge.
- GELFOAM Sterile Sponge should not be used in closure of skin incisions because it may interfere with the healing of skin edges.
- GELFOAM Sterile Sponge should not be resterilized by heat, because heating may change absorption time. Ethylene oxide is not recommended for resterilization because it may be trapped in the interstices of the foam. Although, not reported for GELFOAM, the gas is toxic to tissue, and in trace amounts may cause burns or irritation.
- This product is prepackaged sterile and intended only for single use.
- Use of GELFOAM Sterile Sponge is not recommended in the presence of infection.
- 6 envelops of Pfizer GELFOAM® (ABSORBABLE GELATIN), Size 6